Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk about everything & anything here

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

INTERROGATION: MEL C

Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Wiz
The Wiz

Female
Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-05-03

INTERROGATION: MEL C Empty
PostSubject: INTERROGATION: MEL C   INTERROGATION: MEL C Icon_minitime3rd June 2007, 11:21

INTERROGATION: MEL C 79126AD9-AABA-6C2F-4E5342525C4C3B67

The ex-Spice Girl, 33, on getting the band back together, her fans having babies, wanting to be a farmer and never, ever dreaming about being a bride

By Rhiannon Vivian 03/06/2007

Are your fans old Spice Girls fans or have you acquired new ones along the way?
Mel C: Over the years I’ve watched it change. In the Spice Girls we had very young fans, mums and dads and a huge gay following. At my own gigs I notice more couples and a lot more guys. Of course there are still Spice Girls fans but they’re in their 20s now and are having kids themselves.

Do you ever get starstruck?
MC: All the time! I was in Vienna last week at the Amadeus Awards – their version of the Brits – and the Kaiser Chiefs were there. As I’m quite shy, I’ve got this new policy to knock on the dressing room doors of people I want to meet. In all these years I’ve met so many amazing people but I’m still too nervous to say hello. This time, I thought I should be more forthright, so I did and I met the boys and they were so much fun.

Why do you think everyone is so keen for a Spice Girls reunion?
MC:
It was such a global phenomenon at the time. It was more than music – we were almost like cartoon characters. It was difficult for anyone to avoid us during the 90s, so we ended up playing a big part in a lot of people’s lives. I think everyone is just very curious to see what we’d do, especially as some of us are very high profile now.

Do you think it will happen?
MC: I’ve never wanted to do it as I feel it would be difficult to be as great again. I would be worried that it wouldn’t be as good. But then if the other four girls said, ‘Right Melanie. We’re doing it. Are you in or out?’ I’d be like, ‘I don’t know what to do!’ I’d find it very hard to be the person who didn’t complete the set. A one-off I’d consider, but I wouldn’t want to reform for good.

When did you last see the other girls?
MC: I saw everyone bar Melanie B, at Geri’s daughter, Bluebell’s christening.

Will you visit Mel B’s new baby?
MC: I don’t know – things are pretty hectic at the moment. I didn’t get to see Mel when she was over here as I wasn’t around, but if she comes over again I’d like to see her.

Does your friends having babies make you broody?
MC: I think my age makes me broody. I’m 33 so it becomes a part of life when you grow up. I do want kids, but I’m not ready just yet. My work is so selfish and I travel so much, and that would have to change with kids. I’m hardly ever in the UK. But it’s a brilliant thing. Your priorities change and you’re not number one any more.

Do you think you will get hitched any time soon?
MC: Possibly. Although getting married is not something I’ve grown up imagining. My dreams have always been more career led. I have a great relationship though and hopefully it’s forever, so maybe one day. I was shocked when I found out loads of people plan it when they’re like 10 years old. I thought – am I weird? The thought of it makes me feel stressed out!

You have a pad in London and Wales. What do you love about the country?
MC: The space. And I love the outdoors and nature. We’ve been dead lucky, my boyfriend (Thomas Starr) and I bought in the Wye Valley which is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and the views from our house are incredible. And being woken up by cows mooing and sheep bleating is brilliant. It’s so different for me as I’ve always lived in cities, but it’s great to slow the pace occasionally. I’d love to have a little organic farm. I don’t have chickens yet but I’d love to go green and be self-sufficient, like The Good Life.

When did you last cry?
MC: I cry sometimes just out of tiredness. A couple of weeks ago I wasn’t very well and I’ve got so much to do at the moment I had a little cry. Then I gave myself a kick up the bum. I had a cry at Corrie recently too.

What’s the most romantic thing you’ve ever done?
MC: I’m more maternal with my boyfriend. I always make sure when I go away there’s food in fridge for him, which is probably really annoying as he thinks, ‘I’m an adult, I can look after myself.’ But I quite like taking care of him.

What do people say when they recognise you?
MC: Most people are reluctant to come up to me, but often they ask me what I’m up to, and they’re always really complimentary. Occasionally I get a white van go past and a guy shouts ‘SPORTY!’ but I keep me head down and keep walking. I’m a little bit oblivious now as it’s just a part of life but my friends always clock when I’ve been noticed.

Do you have any phobias?
MC: I don’t like spiders, but I don’t have any phobias. I’m frightened of hurting myself which frustrates me. You know when you’re a kid and you fling yourself everywhere, because you have no sense of consequence? I miss that.

Did you ever have a rubbish Saturday job?
MC: My only job apart from being in the Spice Girls was in a chip shop. The manager was horrible and used to make me cry. I would burn my hands on chip fat and go home stinking of fish but I’d get free steak and kidney pies. I think I earned £1.50 an hour. Slave labour innit? And it wasn’t even that long ago.

Who were your teen crushes?
MC: My first posters were of Adam Ant and George Michael – I was blind to campness as a child. I always loved Bruce Willis too. I fell for him when he did Moonlighting. I sung with him when we were in the Spice Girls in 1998 at the opening of Planet Hollywood in Montreal. I was starstruck – totally in awe of him – but he was just a laugh.

What makes you laugh?
MC: My band! They’re the best entertainment you can have. They’re brilliant. We spend so much time together on the tour bus. Being boys they have very silly toilet humour.

When were you last drunk?
MC: Quite recently at my friend’s barbecue. It was a slow process during the course of a day. We started with Pimm’s, then I thought it was a good idea to have some red wine. Mistake. At the end of the barbie I knew it was time to go to bed as I was struggling to speak properly. I’m not very good at hangovers.

How many tattoos do you have and will you get more?
MC: I have 10 and yes I’d like more. I’ve got a phoenix on my back which is coloured and it’d be nice to get other stuff. It does hurt but it’s worth it. It is a bit odd when you stand up afterwards, your legs are like jelly. Childbirth is apparently the most extreme pain any of us will go through so I look at this as prep.

What would you do if you could be invisible for a day?
MC: I’d go out with me mates and get drunk somewhere really fun. When you’re in the public eye, you’re often self-conscious about how you look and whether you’ll get photographed. If I was invisible I’d avoid that.

What would you do if you weren’t singing?
MC:
I’d like to be in theatre. It’s not poles apart from singing, but other than that I can’t think. Maybe I’d be a housewife to a rich husband. A kept woman! And bake cakes all day.

What’s on your iPod?
MC:
Kaiser Chiefs – my new best friends – Klaxons, Maximo Park, Christina Aguilera, and Mark Ronson.

Do you write about your own life experiences?
MC:
My new single is about Carolyna – a fictional character – but the song’s inspired by homelessness. Even as a kid it really bothered me. I remember watching an American documentary about run-away teens and it affected me. I wanted to write more of a story.

Who would be your ideal person to work with?
MC:
Madonna. She’s my idol.

Who would you like to play you in the film of your life?
MC:
Lady Sovereign. Don’t you think she looks like Sporty Spice? Ha ha, it’s the ponytail and trackies. I’m not sure she’d be too pleased though as she’s very, very cool and I don’t know how cool she’d think Sporty Spice was.

Melanie's Reality Check

Do you wear sunglasses indoors?
I’m not really a ‘Look at me, I’m so famous’ person. I’d feel a fool. If you want to lead a normal life, don’t draw attention to yourself or people will think, ‘What a w*nker.’

What’s the most you’ve spent on one thing that isn’t property?
Holidays. A couple of years ago I rented a house in Barbados over Christmas and New Year and my friends and family came to stay. Expensive, but those great memories are priceless.

Have you ever said, ‘Don’t you know who I am?’
Only jokingly. What I like to say is, ‘Don’t you know who I used to be?’

Melanie C’s new single Carolyna will be released on 18 June. You can also see Melanie live at the Mean Fiddler, London, on 6 June and the Isle of Wight Festival on 10 June

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/showbiz/celebsonsunday/2007/06/03/interrogation--mel-c-98487-19219406/
Back to top Go down

INTERROGATION: MEL C
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: New site http://thewizforum.variousforum.net :: All of the topics-
Jump to: